All posts for the month October, 2011
Posted by theprepcrew on October 30, 2011
The first snowstorm hit the Northeast this past weekend and next weekend it will be time to turn our clocks back for daylight savings. What does this mean? Winter is coming! But along with wintry weather come a whole new wardrobe and the excitement of the holiday season. New preppy staples are now in season. It is time to take out your Barbour jackets, cable knit sweaters, and plaid scarves. It is time to swap out your flip-flops for leather riding boots and Hunter boots. Although the snow may have come a month earlier than we had all hoped, lets take advantage of classic style trends and rejoice in the excitement of the holiday season!
Posted by theprepcrew on October 30, 2011
Happy Halloweekend from The Prep Crew! Have a safe and fun Saturday!
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on October 29, 2011
Halloween is in a few days and with Halloween comes endless supplies of candy. Most of us will probably be trying to rock costumes that may be a little more skimpy that our usual day to day wear. The LAST thing that you want on Halloween is a bloated belly full of candy. In order to battle the candy filled belly look in all of your Halloween pictures, check out a few of these healthy but still yummy Halloween recipes. Trust me, I love candy as much as the next person so I guarantee that my solution will not include eating an apple or just eating some pumpkin seeds. No thanks, these are festive and healthy! Enjoy!
First off, a healthy caramel apple recipe. This recipe is definitely interesting because it combines a smaller amount of caramel, almond milk, and protein powder. Perfect to eat before a long night out!
1 medium apple (variety of your choice)
2 soft caramel squares
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 scoop chocolate protein powder (a blend works best vs. pure whey)
1/4 cup water (if needed)
1 TB chopped peanuts
1 wooden stick
1 piece wax paper
How to Prepare
1. Wash and thoroughly dry apple. Insert wooden stick into the center of the top of the apple, approximately 1 in deep. Set aside.
2. Heat almond milk and caramel squares in small sauce pan. Once caramel is completely melted, remove from heat and let sit for 2 minutes.
3. Add chocolate protein powder and mix until smooth and thick.
4. Note: if coating is watery, let sit for a few more minutes until spreadable. If coating is too thick, add the ¼ cup water 1 TB at a time, until smooth and spreadable. Discard unused water.
5. Hold apple by wooden stick and roll into melted coating while at the same time smoothing over apple with a spatula until mixture is completely used and apple is fully coated.
6. Immediately roll the apple into the chopped nuts while still sticky so the nuts adhere well to the coating
7. Place the apple, top down, onto the wax paper and place in the fridge for approximately 1 hour to completely set. 8. Remove from the fridge, slice it up and …as always…enjoy! You’ve been Slim Pickinized!! YUM!
Next, a recipe for a somewhat healthier pumpkin cupcake. I can’t make magic happen and tell you that these are fat and calorie free but I mean it’s better than it could be and it seriously could not be an easier recipe. Even someone like me who only has a toaster oven and very limited resources could manage this one!
All you need is a box of spice cake mix (or yellow if you prefer) and a can of pumpkin. If you want, chocolate chips could definitely be good as well. How easy is that?
This is an easy adaptation for a super common Halloween recipe.
Get your hands on pretzel rods. All you need to do is melt dark chocolate chips and dip away and if you’re feeling festive, add some Halloween sprinkles. Make sure you have wax paper ready because these will be sticky!
Last recipe for a tried and true Halloween staple. Popcorn Balls seem to be an absolute Halloween and Fall staple. What most people don’t know is that popcorn is a very healthy snack! Marshmallows are fat free as well. This recipe could not look yummier and I might have to try it out myself!
Pumpkin Cranberry Popcorn Balls
Pop 6 cups of popcorn and put in a large bowl. Set aside. In a saucepan, place 3/4 cup marshmallows and 2 tbsp. of honey. Over low heat, stir the mixture until melted. Add 2 tbsp. of canned pumpkin and 3 tbsp. of dried cranberries. Stir until well mixed. Pour over popcorn and allow to cool for 3 or 4 minutes. Grease your hands and form the mixture into several large balls. You will be able to make six popcorn balls with this recipe.
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on October 28, 2011
As you may all know, fall has been here for a while. Growing up in New England and having been around for 19 years has made me love Fall even more. New Englanders, in my opinion, have the best of each season!! It may be late to start thinking about Fall wear, but it’s never too late to know what you need. So in this post, I will chatting it up and discussing the Must Haves of Fall Fashions. Lets get started!
Dark washed jeans. Looks great with everything, I must say. I prefer skinny jeans since the top portion of fall clothing is layers. You do not want to look frumpy while wearing your Fall gear, do you? And dark washed jeans are far more flattering than those dreadful light washed jeans with the pre-ripped details. I am just saying!
Sweaters. Fair Isle, reindeer/animal, cable knit, cashmere, turtlenecks,and a select few of cardigans. The more annoying the pattern, the more you look great! I am talking about the whole Navajo styles! Tennis style ( V- neck) and Irish Fishermen is fab too! You can add a nice sweater with a crispy dark washed jean and your good, oh, and don’t forget the shoes (you know that has to be coming up!)The chunkier the knit is, the warmer you are. No, not those awful Christmas sweaters, we are still talking about fall here! Oh, and I do not see what the fuss is with those Awful Christmas Sweater parties, although they do seem intriguing. I do have a favorite holiday picture of myself and my sister, and we look great in our sweaters, but they are not horrible compared to everyone else’s. I just going to leave it as I am glad our parents did not torture us with ugly clothing. (Had to add a rant about Christmas sweaters…I know you lovers are out there!)
Boots. Tall leather boots-brown/chestnut is my personal fave. Think about equestrian/riding style. Uggs ( don’t hate just make sure you roll down your tall chestnut Uggs down you get away with it!) Flats on muted/nature colors, Sperry( I just had to add that for myself), and rainboots( mine have whales, but in the market/mood for some Hunters).
Jackets. Patagonia( in the market for the hunter green one), Northface ( have one, that is why I am in the market for the hunter green jacket, Herringbone blazer, Burberry trench/quilted anything ( dislike purple, but love the plum color). I like the Burberry short trench I think the long one would look silly on me since I am 5’2” and just be awk on). Lets not foget the puffer vests! And color would do. Make sure it is not colorful or crazy patterned-or not patterned at all. Oh, and faux fur! Make sure its is a solid color, not a crazy cheetah print. You’re not Serena Van der Woodsen.
Colors. Hunter green, maroon, cream,navy, orange ( pumpkin)and brown. There is no need to have bright colors in the Fall. You need to blend in with nature. Who does not want to look like a leaf?
Patterns. Fair Isle, plaid/flannel( mostly for guys), argyle, solid, and animals.
Accessories. Burberry scarf, knitted scarfs in colors above, and bows/headbands in the colors above.
Nail color. Brown, gold, deep green, deep red, teal, cream maybe and pumpkin. Mute is the word. I should not be talking since as of right now, I am wearing Essie Turquoise and Chaos which is a summer minty/sea foam green color.
I recommend you think about pumpkin latte’s at Starbucks, learn how to knit, drink apple cider, read by the fire, toast pumpkin seeds after you get your freshly painted nails a bath in pumpkin guts, and prance around in your Fall gear.
Stay preppy and do not fall out of Fall before Winter,
(And yes, I like to capitalize seasons!)
( I will posting a bunch of photos of what I was talking about!)
Posted by nauticalprep on October 27, 2011
Recently, I bought a book titled ” Better Each Day”, by Jessica Cassity. I knew at once this book would be a great help for blog postings. It contains ’365 Expert Tips for a HEALTHIER, HAPPIER You.’ Who wouldn’t want to be happy everyday? I sure do not know anyone who is a sour sailor everyday just because they feel like it. Ok, so why am I telling you this? I am telling you this because you will be along for the ride as I make even more reasons to be happy and healthy everyday! YAY! Lets start it off on number #48: Your friends can make you fit. Other then the fact that I honestly just opened to that page, I have something to relate to it. The first line underneath the title is ” Are your friends making you fat?” Well, the answer for me is no! Just a few hours ago, my BFF, lets call her A, agreed to go the gym after I finished Building at 8:30 pm. I know, ew is right. Of course, being a girl in college, I go ” Ughh, I am so fat.” I can admit that I say that, but not to get ” OHMYTOTES, you are sooo not fat!”I find that annoying, yet it does give me a ping of added happiness. She is supporting me by going to the gym with me! We usually go at different times! Yayy! Having gym buddies, especially in college, is a great bond to have! Who wants to be running ( walking fast in my case) by yourself watching HOUSE? Not me, ok, only a few times! Friends also are usually not all the same size and do not eat the same as each other. Focus on yourself!Once again, in college, your eating with the same usual group of friends/hallmates, and there is COLLEGE FOOD! Serve to the masses, and the purpose is to please the masses, which usually it does not. (Lucky for me, I am a tank when it comes to food-not that I ate a bunch, I just have no health related problems that make me sick, if you must know ) Think of it as a HEALTHY comptetion. Strive for goals. But of course healthy ones and ask one of you closer/honest friend about what they think you could work on a little more. Or you can always go to the trainer at your gym!
BTW: This was written on Monday
Posted by theprepcrew on October 27, 2011
If you’re half the procrastinator that I am when it comes to Halloween, chances are you still don’t know what you’re going to be dressing up as come this weekend when there’s all the Halloween parties to go to. I don’t know about you, but I definitely feel like Halloween snuck up on me this year. Although, I think it always does.
Gone are the days where my mom decides on my costume for me…this is college, I actually have to be creative now. And, if your school’s anything like mine, you’re going to need 2-3 costumes depending on how many nights you celebrate halloween and plan on going out. But–have no fear–I’m here to show you some fabulous costumes you can put together on the fly! I tried to base these costumes off of things Preppies (or anyone, really) might have in their closet, so you don’t have to do too much last minute scrambling. And let’s be real…you don’t want to look like every other girl there in a “
trashy sexy [fill in the blank]” costume, either.
- Cat: This is the puuuurfect costume for the super-procrastinator. I was a cat for my freshman halloween. What you need: black dress, black headband, black heels/flats, black construction paper, eyeliner. Basically all you need to do with this costume is throw on a black dress, fashion yourself some cat-ears out of the construction paper and headband, and use the eyeliner to draw some whiskers and cute cat-eye makeup. Trust me…sounds simple, but comes out really cute.
- Lax bro: This costume is perfect for both ladies and dudes! For the girls…what better excuse to raid your guy friends’ closets?! What you need: a lacrosse pinnie, some shorts (try to stick to either either pastels or those crazy printed lax shorts), a snapback, and some sweet shades. Oh, and don’t forget the lacrosse stick and mid-calf socks! Guys, keep in mind that this costume only works if you’re not really a lax bro…otherwise how would people know you’re dressing up? Ladies…this costume looks adorable. I’m seriously thinking going as this one night, my brother just sent me everything I need in the mail! All else fails, look to this guy for inspiration:
- Kate Middleton: This costume is easy-peasy. Kate’s style is classic and put-together, plus I’m sure you have some Kate-like staples in your closet! Plus, what girl never dreamed of being a
dutchessprincess when they were younger? What you need: I’d recommend a great-fitting dress, some riding boots or classy heels, a fake sapphire ring, and a tiara. My mom recommended a crazy hat, so whatever floats your boat, really. I’ve got a cranberry wrap dress that would be perfect for this look. Note: this costume could be difficult if you don’t have brown hair. Bonus points if you talk in a British accent all night! Cheerio!
- Risky Business: Channel your inner 80′s Tom Cruise in everyone’s favorite lip-synching scene. What you need: a pink and white striped men’s button-down, Wayfarer sunglasses, tube-socks, tighty whities (or short black shorts if you’re not comfortable), and a candlestick. Every year this is my absolute last-resort costume. Luckily I haven’t had to use it yet. However, I think it could be really fun to go out like this for a night. My roommate dressed up as this last year and had a blast. This costume also works great for 80′s themed parties!
- Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany’s: This costume is one of my favorites. Probably because of my borerline-unhealthy Audrey obsession. What you need: a black dress (you can use the same one from the cat costume!), a few strands of pearls, a bling-y brooch. Optional: a stuffed cat, a Tiffany’s bag, a cigarette holder, or a paper coffee cup. I did this costume when I was in high school, and let me tell you, it was a BLAST. It’s really fun to dress up as Audrey…she just exudes elegance and grace.
Hopefully some of these ideas will help you create fabulous and classy costume! For one of the nights of Halloween, my friends and I are going to be Alvin and the Chipmunks…I’m Simon! I’m also planning on being a lax bro, and Kate Middleton is my last resort if I decide to go out a third time.
So, do any of you have any other great last minute costume ideas for our Prep-minded readers? Also, what are you dressing up as for halloween?? Comment below!
Also…much more important than what you decide on for a costume, PLEASE remember to have fun and be SAFE this Halloween weekend!
Posted by karolinez on October 26, 2011
Midterm season is in full swing right about now. From this point out, it seems like there’s always a paper or a test looming on the horizon. I’ve learned that the month of November goes by the quickest in college – there’s always something to be done and not even close to enough time to get everything in! Whether you’re in the midst of midterm madness or if yours has just finished up, here’s some of my tips to handle the chaos.
- Make a list of everything you need to get do and schedule in time to handle it. I feel better seeing everything I need to do laid out in front of me. Seeing everything organized makes it seem more manageable and checking things off my to-do list makes me see that I really am making progress! Plan when you’ll get things done – but also schedule in time for yourself! I find that working in blocks of two or three hours is the most effective for me. Give yourself personal time to refocus, whatever that may be. You’ll never be able to give your assignments your best if you don’t have time to have some fun as well!
- Keep things in perspective. Is studying those three extra hours more important than three vital hours of sleep? Are the details you’re focusing on in ECON really going to end up on the test? What’s the worst that will happen if you don’t do well on this test? Keep stress at a minimum by realizing that whatever the issue, it’s not going to be the end of the world. Life goes on!
- Study with friends. Make friends in your classes and form study groups! I’ve found that talking about a subject helps me remember it better. Plus, if you have a question about something, you’ll have someone to talk it over with. But, if your study partners are hurting more than helping, don’t be afraid to go it alone as well.
- Take advantage of study sessions and don’t be afraid to ask questions. For a lot of classes, professors or teaching assistants will hold study sessions beforehand to review. Don’t skip out on these! You can get valuable information about what will be on the test and at the very least, hearing information for a second or a third time will help you in remembering it.
- Make studying fun. I keep my Pandora or iTunes on constantly when I’m studying. Having something in the background keeps me focused and brightens up studying a subject I don’t enjoy. If you can’t focus with music in the background, find something else to make studying more enjoyable, whether it’s fun highlighter colors or singing your notes! For the many long nights in the library ahead, here’s my playlist of what I’m listening to now, to make studying geology just a little bit less horrible.
Posted by lbharris on October 25, 2011
Pan-Am, the new series that premiered on September 25th on ABC, is everything a girl could want. It’s full of love, mystery, history, and of course cute clothes. Set in the 1960’s – in my opinion, one of the most interesting periods in American history – the show is based on the life of Pan-American stewardesses and pilots. As a little girl I always wanted to travel the world, and the stewardesses of Pan-am get to live my childhood dream. They’re young, beautiful, educated, and worldly. And not to mention, they have every guy with two eyes fawning all over them.
Even though I’ve only had the pleasure of enjoying five episodes so far this season, the third – “Ich Bin Ein Berliner” – might be my favorite. I couldn’t help but be glued to the t.v. as Maggie Ryan chased President Kennedy around Berlin. Follow the Pan-Am girls as they travel around the world every Sunday night at 10.
Posted by theprepcrew on October 23, 2011
Welcome to ThePrepCrew! We are a group of five bloggers dedicated to the lifestyles of prepdom. Since there are five of us writing, we will all be writing for a different day. We hope that we can cover a broad range of topics that everyone will enjoy! We can not wait to get started and hope that you all enjoy our insights into all things preppy, college, and fashion.
The Prep Crew
Posted by theprepcrew on October 22, 2011