All posts for the month June, 2012
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on June 29, 2012
It’s a chilly, sort-of gloomy day here at the beach, so my sister and I have resorted to wearing long sleeves instead of bathing suits. It’s a tough compromise, but as my boyfriend wisely pointed out to me this morning, a day on vacation–even a yucky one–is better than a day at work. Amen to that!
What I’m wearing:
- Top: Old Navy. I fiiiinally got a chambray shirt after lusting after them for a year or two. Yeah, I’m late to the party, but I’m glad I finally got there!
- Shorts: Lands’ End Canvas. LOVE THESE! They’re always look brighter than I think they really are, but they definitely punch up an outfit!
- Accessories: green beaded necklace (I’ve had it since eighth grade!), Michael Kors watch, sailor’s rope bracelet from Kennebunkport, J.Crew madras headband, and tortoise shell sunglasses from Marshalls, signet and claddagh rings.
On my sister:
- Bicycle t-shirt: J.Crew
- Sweater: Lands’ End
- Jeans: Hollister
- Metallic boat shoes: Sperry Topsider
- Accessories: Ann Taylor belt, Swarovski ring, necklace from Copper Mt., Colorado.
I hope that the weather’s better wherever you are!
Posted by karolinez on June 27, 2012
Lately I have been loving the Chambray trend. Now that I am out on Nantucket for the rest of the summer, I see it everywhere! Maybe it is because of the cooler weather but chambray button downs are all over. There are so many different ways to embrace this trend and I especially loving pairing a chambray top with white denim. How do y’all feel about chambray? What is your favorite way to wear it?
Anthropologie Chambray Shirtdress
Old Navy Tie Front Chambray Shirt (on sale for 15 Dollars! Scoop this up!)
J. Crew Factory Shirt- My friend mMa has this and it is adorable and affordable.
Banana Republic Chambray Shirtdress
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on June 22, 2012
About a month ago, I posted some ideas for fun summer dates. Whether or not you’ve caught the summer love bug, these ideas are great with a special someone, with friends, or even with your fam! As long as you’re enjoying the company of whomever you’re with! So, without further ado…three more fun and fabulous date ideas!
1. Fireworks! Summer is prime fireworks season. And I’ll let you in on a little secret…they’re not just for the Fourth of July! Almost any weekend during the summer, you can find a great fireworks show somewhere moderately close to where you are. And, if you are lucky enough to be near Vancouver, I highly recommend you check out the Fireworks World Championships! I went the summer before my freshman year of college and it was amazing!
All you need to make this night special is a clear sky, a blanket or towel to sit on, and good company. Also, consider bringing a sweater…summer nights can get chilly!
2. Be a tourist in your own city! I guarantee that wherever you live, there are some cool museums or tourist attractions that you’ve never considered. People always complain to me that there’s nothing to do in my little city, but I can always rattle off a laundry list of fun things from boat rides through the canals to great baseball. Just do some googling or contact your local chamber of commerce…that’s what they’re there for!
Image via US Dept. of Transportation
3. Take a road trip. It doesn’t have to be super far, just far away enough that it feels like an adventure. Later in the summer, my boyfriend and I will be driving to NYC to see Jason Mraz perform on the Today Show. He’s never explored New York before, so it’s definitely going to be an adventure for us!
Some ideas for the car so you don’t get too bored include bringing along a playlist full of fun tunes, finding fun attractions you can see along the way, and playing the license-plate game…I’m addicted (and for you competitive types, there’s even a “State Plate Hunt” iPhone app!)!
Have you been on any great summer dates? Let us know in the comments!
Posted by karolinez on June 20, 2012
I’ve spent months upon months wishing for a J.Crew bubble necklace. I love the bright colors, I love the fun shape but I hate the price. There is no way I’m going to pay almost $150 for a necklace that will inevitably be out of style in two years. I kept wishing I would see a knock-off version in a store like Forever 21 or H&M, but I didn’t find anything – until I went what I thought was an unlikely source, Etsy!
For under $40, you can find trendy statement necklaces, at the perfect price for a piece that’s only going to last a couple seasons. This copy of J.Crew’s bubble necklace is only $19!
I love fawning over all the beautiful things on Etsy! Since I’m from North Carolina, I LOVE these necklaces with a heart in the state.
What are you loving on Etsy these days?
Posted by lbharris on June 19, 2012
My family loves to travel and at each of our favorite vacation spots we like to buy Catstudio pillows. The pillows are super cute and highlight some of my favorite places at each vacation destination. Our family collection is unique and always sparks conversation about treasured vacation memories. Here are some of my favorites!
Posted by theprepcrew on June 18, 2012
I was inspired to write this post from a Twitter conversation between Karoline, Chadsey, and I earlier today. It seems like the biggest trend lately is colored denim. While I am only a recent convert, many people have been following for a while. In general, preppy dress stays away from things that are trendy. However, I think this trend is very adaptable for any style (especially preps). Whether you pair it with a classic Oxford or Polo or rather with a blazer or cardigan, this look could not be more versatile. The key is to wear neutral on the top. While I was browsing for pictures for this post, I stumbled upon this picture of the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton. I love this picture for so many reasons. First of all, she’s amazingly gorgeous and pretty much flawless let’s be honest. Second of all, she’s showing exactly how to dress her colored jeans up or down in a classic preppy way. Third of all, she’s wearing a hoodie and if Princess Kate can occasionally rock a hoodie, then so can the rest of us, right? So what is your favorite way to wear your colored jeans? Post below in the comments!
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on June 15, 2012
Posted by theprepcrew on June 11, 2012
I’m currently on a vacation with my family so excuse the late posting! Here is my dinner outfit for the day and since people always like a good bargain, check the details to learn more.
Dress: Target (such a steal, I think it looks super classy)
Shoes: Platinum Jack Rogers
Jewelry: Alex and Ani bangles and a random bangle from who knows where , claddagh, family crest ring.
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on June 8, 2012
It’s June, and you know what that means…graduation parties! College graduations for the most part have already taken place, but high school commencements are still going on. Either way, there are lots of parties to attend.
If you’re stuck on what to get a grad this spring…stay tuned! I’ve compiled a list of gifts separated into three simple categories: guys, girls, and unisex!
1. Portable Ping Pong Set, $35, uncommongoods.com
2. Make Your Own Ukulele Kit, $40, uncommongoods.com
3. Putting Machine, $14.99, handhelditems.com
4. Beach Sounds Portable Speaker, $40, uncommongoods.com
5. Kiel James Patrick bracelets, $35-58, kieljamespatrick.com
6. Lilly Pulitzer 2013 Large Agenda, $26, lifeguardpress.com
7. Lilly Pulitzer Write On! Dry Erase Board, $15.95, lifeguardpress.com
8. Alex & Ani Compass Expandable Wire Bracelet, $38, alexandani.com
What will you be getting the graduates in your life this year?
Posted by karolinez on June 6, 2012