Yesterday, the self-professed “Queen of Prep” passed away leaving behind an unforgettable legacy and lifetime of achievements. She changed the face of women’s fashion and redefined the shift dress for all eternity. In her honor, I decided to make a background to commemorate one of my favorite Lilly Quotes. The top one is for phones and the bottom for computers.
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on April 8, 2013
Sorry for the super late post y’all, but this week I am on Spring Break skiing in Vermont and so I have been super busy and trying to take a break from my computer. I know you guys will understand!
If you haven’t heard, Kate Spade is launching a new brand called Kate Spade Saturday. It is positioned as a more affordable brand that captures the essence of Saturday, the first day of the weekend. And who doesn’t love Saturdays? Their first store is opening in Tokyo, Japan and the brand is launching worldwide this month. With lower priced versions of all of our favorite KS goodies, what’s not to love? If you are looking for more information on the brand, check out their instagram which is constantly teasing new stuff!
“It is designed to attract a younger customer with less disposable income and a more casual lifestyle. The target customer is a young woman, 20-35, who is stylish and digitally savvy.”
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on March 4, 2013
I don’t know about y’all but all of my midterms seem like they are starting up this week, and as much as I hate spending my time in the library, it’s the only place where I am guaranteed to be free of too many distractions. So to liven up my week (and hopefully yours), I put together this great study playlist with super chill and not too distracting songs that are just enough to keep you awake, but not too much to keep you from focusing on your studies. I hope that it helps you as much as it has helped me to stay motivated! PS, If you want the link to the playlist on Spotify, just comment below.
Good luck on midterms!
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on February 18, 2013
I’ll be honest, Valentine’s Day is not one of my favorite holidays, but I do love hearts on everything. Who doesn’t love pink, red, and heart-covered clothes, shoes, and accessories? And besides that, there is literally candy everywhere you turn, dangerous but also delicious. On that note, I have been browsing around for some really cute stuff with a Valentine’s motif that are perfect for February but are not too overwhelming for every other time of year as well.
C. Wonder Hearts Aflutter Cuff Bracelet- Adorable for any time of year and definitely an eye-catcher!
Kate Spade Be Mine Studs- These studs are the perfect neutral earrings to wear whenever but are even better for Valentine’s Day. They also come in silver and gold!
J. Crew Heartbreaker Sweater- Black and white are big for Spring and this sweater is perfect for these chilly but not freezing days.
J. Crew Factory classic crewneck cardigan in hearts- This is definitely more of a February sweater but I think if you pair it with a neutral shirt and skinny jeans, it could definitely transition into Spring as well.
C. Wonder Embroidered Heart Velvet Slipper Loafer- These loafers are perfect for Spring and I love that the black and red is neutral enough to wear with any outfit, but still stand out and make a statement.
Forever 21 Metal Heart Flats- I am obsessed with these flats and it is definitely possible that they will be added to my closet ASAP. They come in black, tan, and red, and at under $25 how can you resist?
Old Navy Women’s Crepe Dresses in Hearts- This dress is super affordable and perfect to wear out for Valentine’s Day with your special someone or just for hanging out with you best friends.
Topshop Heart Print Skater Dress- So cute for Valentine’s Day or just a night out on the town. Love!
I hope this makes shopping for Valentine’s Day just a little bit easier for everyone. Good luck and let us know what you pick out!
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on February 4, 2013
Over the past week, it has actually been freezing in Boston. So freezing that I keep asking myself whether I live in Massachusetts or the North Pole. Even though I’m not a huge fan of these below freezing temps, it does mean that I get to take out all of my cutest winter accessories. Here are a few of the cutest winterwear pieces that would make any freezing day just a little bit warmer!
Starting from the top left and going clockwise: Monogram tech gloves from C. Wonder, Lilly Pulitzer Murfee scarf in Spike the Punch, Kate Spade New York Big Apple hat, Starbucks reusable cup (because let’s face it, Starbucks is the best way to warm up!), C. Wonder Heading South scarf, Kate Spade New York Mod earmuffs (these have earbuds built in so you can plug them right into your iPod or iPhone!), Etsy earwarmer, and Kate Spade New York touch tech bow gloves. I hope you love and are coveting all of these as much as I am!
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on January 28, 2013
Along with the impending Holidays, comes an extreme desire to bake and eat ALL the peppermint, ALL the gingerbread, and ALL the sugar anywhere in sight. Here at The Prep Crew, we are glad to indulge. Here are some of my favorite picks for easy snack recipes for your holiday season! Enjoy!
- First up, Peppermint Puppy Chow. I know that I have posted about puppy chow here before because it is amazing and so easy to make for a million people. It takes like five minutes for the whole thing and trust me, it will probably be gone in the same amount of time. Click here for an adaptation that makes a holiday themed puppy chow!
- This is a really cute idea to make reindeer cookies. Just buy the precut gingerbread men, (or make the dough yourself if you are feeling ambitious), and then flip it upside down to decorate. A great way to make something new out of what you have. And who doesn’t love a good gingerbread cookie?
- These Santa Hat pretzel treats would be so cute at any holiday party (or all for yourself!)
- Here is a recipe for no-bake Christmas Oreo Truffles. From what I’ve heard, these are similar to cake pops but don’t take
34554534 hours forever, time much better spent with family and friends (not that I know from experience).
- Last but not least, we have Christmas Hot Chocolate Cupcakes. These are the cutest things ever and they are decorated to look like real hot chocolate. Super festive, and cupcakes are always a big crowd-pleaser!
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on December 10, 2012
As the end of the semester is near, everyone is in the inevitable black hole that is project week, finals week, midterms the last week of classes?, presentations, discussions, etc. To escape this terrible abyss, here are a few tips to slowly see the light at the end of the tunnel. We can do it!
1) Decorate your room for the holidays- while this may only take a few minutes out of your day, it will make you feel so much better when you are up at 5 a.m. putting the finishing touches on your final paper and you are being lit my multi-colored string lights. Trust me, I might know. While I probably wouldn’t encourage decking the halls to any extremes, a few strands of lights and some ornaments does a person good.
2) Sip- Whether it’s a trip to Starbucks, DD, or the dining hall, sipping on one of your favorite holiday beverages is sure to ease your stress a little bit. I would always recommend a Caramel Brulee Latte from Starbucks or a hot chocolate and Starbucks Red Cups could even put a little cheer in the Grinch!
3) Shop- Nothing makes me feel better than finding the perfect Christmas gift for someone that I love. Even if you just spend ten minutes in the library shopping online, it is a welcome distraction from studying for finals. You might even find some things to add to your own list too!
4) Sing- No one can say that singing a few Christmas carols doesn’t make them feel a little better! I definitely do not recommend this one if you are in the library thought as I don’t think it would be super popular. Just turn on your favorite Christmas Pandora station and relax for a while preferably in a spot where your roommates or neighbors won’t Scrooge you.
5) Deck the Technology!- Download a few (or all if you’re me) of the wallpapers that Karoline made for the Holidays and add some festivity to your phone or laptop. That way when you are sitting and staring at your screen for endless amounts of time, at least it is a little more cheerful!
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on December 3, 2012
It is officially Cyber Monday, my favorite shopping holiday of the year! You can sit in your pj’s and browse all the stores you could ever dream of at the same time all while not having to step outside of your house! While Black Friday is fun and definitely thrilling (read: scary), I just don’t think that being stampeded by angry Wal-mart shoppers could trump sitting here with a coffee browsing my favorite stores and boutiques. To each their own I guess. Anyways, I have put together a list of all the best deals that any Prepster would love and any associated codes that you may need as well. Happy Shopping!
J Crew- 25% off everything and free shipping with code MONDAY
J Crew Factory 50% off everything and free shipping with code YOURGIFT
Loft 50% off everything with code TODAYONLY
Madewell 25% off everything and free shipping with code TREAT
C. Wonder automatic 50% off all sale items with free ground shipping and 30% off purchase of $100 or more plus free shipping
Vestique (a super cute boutique) 20% off with code CYBERMON
Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic 30% off with code CYBER
Jewels and Accessories
Kate Spade up to 75% off everything!
Bauble Bar (Monday-Wednesday) for every $40 that you spend, you get a free gift
Bridier Baubles (great jewelry boutique with free shipping) 15% off with code CYBER
Piperlime 20% off with code CYBER
Ulta everything is on sale!
Preppy Princess 20% off with code PGM
Target, Amazon, and Nordstrom are also having great deals for Cyber Monday so go check it all out and shop til you drop!
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on November 26, 2012
It seems like this season peplum is all the rage and I don’t know about y’all but I’m loving it! From dresses to sweaters to skirts, I have seen this trend popping up all over the place and I think it will definitely be around for a few seasons. It is a great way to add a little pop to your outfit as well as being a super easy way to dress up your day-to-day look. Whether you pair a top with your favorite dark skinnies or a skirt with a staple Oxford shirt, peplum is a great way to kick up your outfit especially going into the Holiday season. Throw on a statement necklace and you’re ready to go!
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on November 12, 2012
I was inspired to write this post from a Twitter conversation between Karoline, Chadsey, and I earlier today. It seems like the biggest trend lately is colored denim. While I am only a recent convert, many people have been following for a while. In general, preppy dress stays away from things that are trendy. However, I think this trend is very adaptable for any style (especially preps). Whether you pair it with a classic Oxford or Polo or rather with a blazer or cardigan, this look could not be more versatile. The key is to wear neutral on the top. While I was browsing for pictures for this post, I stumbled upon this picture of the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton. I love this picture for so many reasons. First of all, she’s amazingly gorgeous and pretty much flawless let’s be honest. Second of all, she’s showing exactly how to dress her colored jeans up or down in a classic preppy way. Third of all, she’s wearing a hoodie and if Princess Kate can occasionally rock a hoodie, then so can the rest of us, right? So what is your favorite way to wear your colored jeans? Post below in the comments!
Posted by whalesandwayfarers on June 15, 2012